Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Lemon Heads and Curly's


My co-worker Candace and I share a love of fruity candy, the ones that over time ruin your teeth, like Mike-N-Ikes, Starburst, Mambas, Skittles, Swedish Fish, Sour Patch Kids and the list goes on and on. So the other day she pulled out some Candy and I squealed, I had not seen Lemon Heads since I moved away from California when I was 14 and they brought back a flood of memories.

We lived on Larkey Lane in Walnut Creek, California and there was a corner store that was the next block over. We would come home from school and gather up change from around the house and go down to the corner store called "Curly's" and buy ourselves candy. Lemon Heads were sold there and I loved my fruity candy even way back then. I cannot remember the owners name but he was a nice man, because often times to buy our candy we would throw down millions of pennies and he would patiently count them out. We would then ride bikes, go the park or play in the tree house or on the rope swing.


Here is a picture of Curly's, it is no longer named that but to me it will always be Curly's.

Those Lemon Heads just triggered all of that and yes I helped myself to some and they were just like I remembered them.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I can't believe that is Curly's...wasn't it red when we were growing up? Was it really named Curly's or did we just make that up?

    ReplyDelete